Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Filter types

After our discussion on Tuesday about many things, I was interested in learning more about neutral density filters; especially why you would use them other than to make the sky look bluer! I found this cool website that explained not only neutral density filters but polarizing and warming/cooling filters as well. I like the picture examples that show what the filter looked like, the difference between using and not using a filter and when a filter was used incorrectly.

I also learned that the main reason most landscape photographers use neutral density filters is to allow them to extend exposure time. This seemed strange to me who enjoys faster shutter speeds in order to avoid blurriness, until I realized that tripods are usually involved in these instances. This website helped reiterate the points that Dave made in class and helped show how everything: camera type, tripod use, filter use, etc. are interrelated and how you probably shouldn't just change one thing without thinking about how it changes everything else.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lens-filters.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment