Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Otter? Mink? Who cares its awesome!

So last week Mary and I went to Riverfront park to get some pictures for class. As we were walking down a path to try and find somewhere good for running, we saw the adorable little otter/mink type creature just chilling on the ice with his fish. Of course, all thoughts of taking picture of someone running went out the door and we quickly grabbed our cameras and tried to get decent photographic evidence. I am particularly pleased with the picture of him eating his fish! I'm also pleased to say that since I had no real idea about how to control exposure at the time these photos were taken, the snow mode on my camera does a pretty nice job of not making everything look icky!


Of course, no trip would be complete without a little bit of fun. I found this nifty fallen tree and took a picture of Mary mediating under it!
Finally snow mode seemed to be particularly helpful in taking some landscape photos. I like both photosphotos for different reasons. The one that is just of snow and ice shows how fragile and strong ice can be. Since the one layer is nearly melted but the other layers are almost strong enough to still support a person. Mix that with the water and it gives me a feeling of hope that the fridgid winter will not forever reign! I'm not sure why I like the one with the dead tree in it, but when I was standing there staring at the scene I just thought, "this is interesting".
The most important thing I learned from this photoshoot was to always keep my eyes open and my camera near by. We went to Riverfront with the sole purpose of getting pictures of each other running and wound up seeing some pretty cool examples of why we brave the outdoors to see the beauty that are Montana winters.

No comments:

Post a Comment